Monday, October 11, 2010

Grammar Lesson

Today, I had to teach another grammar lesson. Grammar is not an easy subject for me to teach and while I can logically understand that it is important to understand the fundamentals of the English language, I am just not sure that it really matters if my students can name all 7 subordinate conjunctions. So I really geared up today and over prepared with all kinds of "fun" activities and attention getting techniques. I even played the oh so familiar Conjunction Junction video from school house rock. You remember the one at the train depot, with the really catchy, albeit slightly annoying song. "Conjunction junction, what's your function?"



I must admit, I was pretty excited and thought for sure my students would love it. I played the clip and waited for the reaction. But they just sat there, I think somewhat confused, definitely not entertained, and clearly not appreciating the iconic school house rock. I even had to explain what it was and tell them that there used to be a programing requirement that Saturday morning cartoons be somewhat educational. School House rock was developed to meet that federal requirement. Again blank stares. I resisted the urge to play Bill on Capitol Hill or Lolly, Lolly, Lolly Get your Adverbs Here. You remember those, all part of growing up in the 80's.

2 comments:

Diana said...

I wasn't actually aware of the reason for Conjunction Junction but I TOTALLY remember it and loved the reference to all things awesome.

Taggart Family said...

That was the best! Can't believe they didn't get it. What are you teaching????