Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Parable of the Pressure Washer



Labor Day weekend the hub decided that we needed to seal the flagstone around the pool. We had several soccer games scheduled and not a lot of time to do much else, so it seemed like a great idea. After a few trips to Home Depot, he set out to get it done. Then he discovered the dirt and grime on the rock and decided he better pressure wash first. No sooner does he finish pressure washing then the Texas skies open up and it starts pouring. Needless to say, the flagstone sealing was delayed. The pressure washer abondoned and left in the middle of the patio. Days pass and the pressure washer stays in the middle of the patio. Weeks pass. The flagstone has now been sealed and the pressure washer, along with all of the sealing supplies is still in the middle of the patio. Almost a month has gone by and still the pressure washer is sitting out. Now I know what you are thinking. . .if it bothered you that much why didn't you just put it away? I guess the simplest answer is that I am beyond tired of cleaning up after everyone else's projects, meals, parties, school work, work work, shaving messes, shampoo fights, clothing dilemnas, the list goes on. I am done.


After a few weeks of taking a stance that no one seemed to notice, (Expect maybe the pool guy because the stupid thing was in his way) I decided to ask the hub to put it away. He appeared to hear me and yet the washer stayed and stayed. I am suddenly reminded of an old episode of Everybody loves Raymond where a suitcase sits on the stairs and bugs the wife, but appears invisible to Ray. At the end of the episode she has finally reached her breaking point and puts it away. This weekend I had gotten to that point. I had decided to get over myself and just put the stupid thing away, and then Saturday morning. . .the hub smiles and me and says, "Well since it's your birthday." and just like that puts the pressure washer away in the shed.


SO what is the lesson? I know I should have just sucked it up and put it away. I know I was being selfish and petty. But I guess the take away that I really want to believe. is that maybe if I wait long enough, eventually someone else will put the stuff away. (oh come on, I can dream, can't I?)

3 comments:

kita said...

I keep thinking that one day people will just put their stuff away here in my house, are you telling me it won't happen?????
The cups, shoes, pants, papers, books, snack wrappers, quitar picks etc. etc.
SIGH

Cari-Ann said...

I feel your pain and share your dream.

Taggart Family said...

OMG we are so much alike!!!! LOL!