Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Warning: this one is sad


Ox died on Tuesday. If you know me, you know that I am married to a dog person. the Hub loves dogs. When we got married he told me that he had always wanted an English bulldog and so 8 years ago we bought one. Oxford, was the cutest, silliest puppy. When we went to buy him he was running around the breeder's hotel room with a trash can turned upside down on his head. He had 6 brothers and one sister and he was definitely the life of the party. It was love at first sight for the Hub. Ox became an instant member of the family.

J and Cam cannot remember a time without him. We are all so sad. The house seems empty today. I am just so used to him laying in the same room with me snoring away. When the girls are at school he is my constant companion. I felt some measure of safety with him here because he was big and scary looking. The truth was he was more likely to lick you and lay on your feet than bite or bark. He was such a good dog. Low key and obedient. Always there for a love or a listening ear. It may sound odd, but I feel a strange debt of gratitude to Ox because he loved my children and hub so much and in a more unconditional way than I have ever been able to. We will miss him.

2 comments:

dannyhaley said...

I am SO sorry to hear about Ox! What a sad week! I just remeber him watching me so intently and just sitting at my feet when I would be at your house at night (during our babysit swaps). He was so cute and such a sweet dog. I am happy you have a new little puppy, and feeling guilty that we have no dog! Miss you-

Jen said...

I'm so sad. Kai almost cried when I told him, if that tells you anything about how much we'll miss him too...and then he proceeded to tell me how we can go to Chuy's and see a picture of Ox on the wall. So so so sad.