Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mother's Day

A book I was reading recently said, "If you want to get to understand any woman you must first ask about her mother and then listen carefully." If you asked, I would first say that my mom had the bluest eyes. My sister got those and as a child I was so jealous and would have gladly traded my dog-pooh brown, as I called them for hers. My mother also loved to have fun. She worked hard to make simple things special, but the most important thing I would tell you about my mother is that she loved me. I have come to realize that loving me and believing me was the very best thing she could have ever done for me. Sure I wish that she had taught me how to make her famous pies and breads. Sometimes I am mad that she did not teach me more about parenting and being a wife or surviving loss, but ultimately she loved me and really isn't that what being a good mother is all about.

Honestly, I really hate Mother's Day. I feel some of you rolling your eyes, but this is my blog so if it bugs you don't read it: ). It is a holiday that I really don't understand. As a child I remember feeing this weird disconnect about it. Shouldn't we treat our mother's well all of the time and if mom's love their kids so much, why do they want the day off? As an adult I have struggled with what exactly I am supposed to do on mother's day. It seems like I should want to be surrounded by my children and bask in the glory of my life's work, but honestly, I would love to just hide in my room. And then there is the added stress of having my own mother gone. Plus it is Sunday and inevitably a time for guilt and reflection of missed chances and falling short of the mark. I wont't even mention the hub's total lack of enthusiasm about any holiday.

So this year I tried hard to quiet the negative and just BE with my children and it was better. My goal for next year is to plan a fun day with my daughters after all, if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be Mother and honestly, aren't they amazing...

1 comment:

Taggart Family said...

Yes, your girls are amazing and beautiful and they are who they are because you are their mother! Hope you had a good Mother's Day.