Friday, April 30, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dad !!!


Today is my dad's birthday. He doesn't read my blog, but obviously today he is on my mind. My dad is awesome. For almost as long as I can remember he has had two full time jobs, not because he has to, but because he wants to. He works for the Federal Government in Anti-trust. He is an Economist. I know, no wonder I am so smart, good genes. (kidding) But his real love is teaching. So 30 years ago he made this deal with my mom that if he could make enough money teaching to pay for the second car that he would need to make the second job work for the family, he could teach and so he applied. He has become one of the favorites at the private liberal arts college he teaches at. I am always amazed when I am with him in California how many times we see his former students. They always stop and talk to him and he always knows their names. They almost always turn to me and say, "Your dad's class was so hard, but I learned so much." He is one of those lucky people who has found a way to love his work.

My dad is the kind of person who knows a lot about a lot. My sister and I used to always tell him to go on Jeopardy. I think we secretly hoped that we would go on and win big. When we were younger we discussed vocabulary words at dinner and even had quizzes. Needless to say, my sister and I scored pretty high on the verbal part of the SAT. Thanks, dad. I could go on and on, don't worry I won't. The bottom line is my dad is pretty amazing and if you asked him he would say, "not that amazing just doing my job, taking care of my family."

No comments: